Watercolor - What not to do...




I know, I haven't been able to write for a little while now. I was busy with my shifting and other things. But now I am back.
Today I am going to talk about a watercolor painting that I did recently. And after seeing it I could clearly see what I should not have done and what I needed to change.


So, here is the painting. I know its not very good. I am not satisfied with this. So with this painting I can tell what I did wrong and what needs to be avoided while doing watercolor.

The main mistake that I made was taking too much color. The green for the foliage is too much. I forgot that I needed to paint in layer. But what I did, took a lot of color and splashed it on the paper. If this was any ordinary paper then it would have crumbled by now. But using a proper water color paper really helped me here. So I recommend to use proper paper always.

I should have been painting in layers. I should have first made layer of light green and then keep applying layers. Here another mistake of mine comes to view. I lacked the vision about what I wanted.

Now the river, its blank. I could have put some ripples with the help of some dark blue and brush strokes. And where is the reflections. I should have created some reflections of the foliage or the banks.

So the main takeaways from this paintings:
1) Have a proper paper.
2) Paint in layers.
3) Avoid too much colors.
4) Add brush strokes.

Would like to hear from you guys if I have missed something or any other suggestion you have that can make me better. Please comment what you think.
 

Comments