Weekend Watercolor- Gateway to fantasy land

Painting in the weekend is very relaxing and soothing for me. It not only removes the fatigue of the previous week but rejuvenates me for the next week. This weekend I did another watercolor painting. This painting is a little out of the ordinary watercolor paintings that I normally do.

Normally I would make a scenery from my imagination or I will take a reference image. But in this weekend's painting, I didn't had anything in mind or any reference pic. I just picked up the brush and started splashing and washing the paper with colors. As I moved forward, I tried to add different elements that would give a depth to the painting.

So without further delay here is my painting, hope you guys like it.

fantasy_land_watercolor
Here is the painting which I created this weekend. Now lets see how I made this painting.

Firstly I made wash on the paper with plain water. I washed the paper only on the sides keeping the middle part dry. After washing the paper, I applied the blue color on the wet area. I spread the color in the direction I wanted - vertical, horizontal, diagonal, whatever I liked.

As I told earlier, I just splashed color. Then before the paper dried I took the purple color and splashed on the inner side of the blue. Blending both the colors is another important thing.

After the paper dried I put another wash on the middle part of the paper with plain water. Now I applied green color on the inner part. Again I blended with the outer color. Now the time to wait so that the paper can dry completely.

Once the paper has dried, with plain water, I wash the complete paper in a vertical direction. Also I took lot of water on the brush and dropped huge droplets of water on the paper. Keeping the paper slant helps the drops flow naturally in a downward direction. This flow of water creates quite interesting pattern. Also while the droplets were flowing, I added a tint of orange to the wet areas.

After the paper has dried completely, with black color I create the trees on either side of the painting. These trees were the extra elements that actually added some depth to the painting. The trees made the painting look like a forest from a fantasy game or a forest from a horror movie.

Hope you like the painting. Please try and let me know how did the painting come up. If you have any suggestions or questions please comment.

Comments