Vijaydashmi - How to make a painting depicting Vijaydashami

Today is Vijaydashami. In many parts of the Indian subcontinent its also called Dusshera.

Whatever it might be called its marks only one thing 'Victory of Good over Evil'. Vijaydashami is observed for different reasons and celebrated differently in various part of the Indian subcontinent. In some parts it marks the end of Durga Puja - remembering goddess Durga's victory over the buffalo demon Mahisasura. In other parts its synonymous with Dusshera - it marks the victory of Lord Rama over Ravana.

Now lets talk about how I spent my Durga Puja and Vijaydashami. I spent doing the usual - office and painting. As my office is taking a lot of my time nowadays so this time I didnt try any new technique of painting. This is a simple painting of goddess Durga.

Now lets see how to make it.

First I applied a layer of yellow color in a circular manner. I choose the circular shape because I wanted to create an illusion that the sun is the disc behind the goodess. After the first layer of coat dried then I applied another layer of yellow to make it darker.

After the new coat has dried, I then took red color and applied a layer around the yellow disc. Then after the layer dried applied another layer of red.

The boundary where the red and yellow meets, I blended both the color to make an orange effect.

Once all the layers of the colors have dried, then I drew the outline of goddess durga with a hb pencil keeping the outline light. After I was satisfied with the image then I covered the outline with black color. You can use any dark color but make sure that its different from the background color.

Thats it. You can see how easy its to make this painting. This painting was similar to one of  my previous painting which I created during ganpati. You can find the painting here. Other ideas for different painting technique can also be found here.

Comments